Valley Geropsychiatry offers diagnosis and treatment of:
– Alzheimer’s Disease, related memory and behavioral disorders
– Late life depression
– Aging and marital issues
– Coping with aging and physical decline
– Anxiety, panic and phobic disorders
– Life review
– Behavioral components of Parkinson disease
– Late life psychosis
– Evaluation of capacity, decision-making ability
– Reviews of power of attorneys, pre-will capacity review
– Delirium, altered mental state
– Forensic geriatrics: specialize in capacity reviews, undue influence cases, will disputes, informed decision making ability, ability to care for self
In 2018, after 26 years with Carilion Clinic — serving in numerous leadership roles — Dr. Trinkle retired his position to focus on his work in Medical Education with the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and became a full time employee at Virginia Tech. Around the same time, he retired from Roanoke City Council after 12 years and multiple terms as Vice Mayor. With strong ties to the aging population in the Roanoke Valley — and the belief that it’s critical to stay clinically active and up to date — he used the time freed up from council to create a one day a week geriatric psychiatry clinic in Roanoke, Virginia.
By design, Valley Geropsychiatry is a small clinic focused on giving personalized care with fast availability by phone and in office appointments to a core group of patients. The clinic is set within a bakery retail shop for ease of access and to allow opportunities for socialization when so many senior outings are just to see doctors. In addition, the aim is to destigmatize this type of clinical visit. At this time, Dr. Trinkle is accepting patients for assessment appointments and ongoing care – and there will always be time available for forensic assessments. This is a fully outpatient clinic and while contact will be handled directly with Dr. Trinkle, he will not be on call evenings and weekends. He does not do inpatient care but holds privileges at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital and can do consults. In the event of an emergency issue, please visit the nearest Emergency Room or call 911.